- Colour Beige to light brown, black, and white
- Size From 76 cm to 110 cm long, with wingspan as long as 1.7 m
- Description Have a black head and neck with a white "chinstrap," while its body and wings are beige to light brown.
Why do I have Canadian geese
Canadian geese like to remain in open areas, near rivers, ponds, and marshes. They construct nests on small islets, at tree bases, in flower boxes, in pond plants, under shrubs, and on rooftops.
They feed largely on lawn grass, but will also eat leaves, seeds, roots, berries, cattail, algae, sedge, tubers, roots, alfalfa, oats, wheat, corn, rye, and barley.
Should I be worried about Canadian geese
Canadian geese can carry and transmit pathogens resulting in serious diseases in humans and pets, including avian influenza, botulism, salmonellosis, duck virus enteritis, and cholera. They are also very noisy, aggressive and can injure humans and pets if they attack.
The geese overgraze on lawns, leave feces on walkways around hospitals, campuses, and public parks, potentially damaging the property. They also cause major agricultural damage by consuming crops, reducing the yield and increasing soil erosion.
It’s worth noting, once a mating pair of Canadian geese have finished building a nest, they will return to the same site every mating season from then on. For this reason, it’s important to take action as soon as possible after realizing you have a problem.
The best way to keep Canadian geese off your commericial property is to consult a professional, licensed pest control service, which will be able to create a long-term deterrence plan, and make sure all methods comply with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Fish & Wildlife Act.
How to prevent Canadian Geese
- Remove all food, including bird feeders for other species.
- Replace lawns with ivy or wildflowers.
- Let grasses grow tall, and plant shrubs and bushes.
- Install barriers around ponds or reservoirs.
- Install visible scare tactics or sound deterrents
Other pests related to Canadian Geese
100% Satisfaction or Money Back Guarantee
Resolving your pest problem is our #1 priority. If re-treatment is required, we'll provide immediate services at no extra cost. If your expectations are not met, we guarantee a full refund of your service payment.