Cockroaches have been bugging businesses for the entirety of human existence. And whether they’re scurrying through the facility, snacking on crumbs in employee break rooms or swimming through the sewer, they are more than just a nuisance. These tiny pests can also contaminate products and cause expensive damage around your facility, so it’s important to handle a cockroach sighting as soon as possible to prevent these pests from making your property their next home.
Orkin Expectations Campaign – Pest Inspection from Jackson Spalding on Vimeo.
Signs of a Cockroach Problem
No matter where they’re hiding in your building, cockroaches leave behind tiny clues that let you know they’re nearby. As your maintenance and sanitation teams routinely inspect the facility, instruct them to keep an eye out for these red flags:
- Pepper-like droppings. As roaches move throughout your facility, they leave behind tiny droppings that have the same appearance as black pepper.
- Egg casings. Cockroach nymphs leave behind brown, oblong casings when they emerge from their oothecae.
- Musty smells. During decomposition, certain roaches produce a pungent or putrid odour that can smell like musty oil.
- Cockroaches. This seems pretty obvious, but spotting a cockroach during the day means there are likely many more hiding nearby. Cockroaches are nocturnal and will leave their hiding places during the day due to overcrowding.
Cockroach Hiding Spots
As your maintenance teams keep an eye out for cockroach activity, there are a few places they should pay special attention to. Common cockroach hot spots include:
- Appliances and equipment. Machinery and common appliances give off heat and condensation that is attractive to roaches. Be sure to check behind and underneath all equipment for signs of these pests.
- Cardboard and paper stacks. Paper, envelope glue and cardboard can all attract cockroaches, who have a penchant for paper materials. Cockroaches are even known to eat the glue that holds cardboard together, so be sure to declutter your space.
- Kitchens. Even the smallest crumb can become a cockroach’s next meal. With plenty of food and shelter, kitchens, common spaces and employee break rooms can harbour these persistent pests. Help avoid cockroach problems by keeping these areas clean, removing crumbs or spills immediately and practicing proper waste removal.
- Cabinets. From copy rooms to desk drawers, cockroaches are known to escape the hustle and bustle of your workplace inside the shelter of cabinets and furniture. When monitoring for cockroach activity, be sure to check any nooks and crannies inside large pieces of furniture to ensure a thorough inspection.
Cockroaches can be difficult to control, and sometimes, proper maintenance and sanitation isn’t enough. To learn more about how to identify and eliminate cockroaches from your business, download this comprehensive guide. For help defending against cockroaches, call Orkin Canada today.
You may also like
Top Pests Expected To Trend In The Summer Of 2023
Warm weather is around the corner, which means pests that have been overwintering or hibernating will wake up as well as non-hibernating pests will start making an appearance outdoors. Being prepared for those spring and summer pests can have an impact on how enjoyable your time will be at home or at work. Using industry leading expertise, we have put together a comprehensive list on the top 8 pests expected to trend in the summer of 2023. This list will provide a deeper dive into the impact that pests can have on your property, along with prevention tips to keep your home or business pest-free.
Top 6 Pests Expected To Trend In The Winter Of 2022
With winter weather around the corner, Canadians will start heading indoors to escape the cold. Just like humans, pests also look to seek refuge indoors as resources, such as food and water, become harder to find outside when the weather gets colder. In order to prevent a potential pest infestation from occurring on your property throughout the winter, we have put together a comprehensive list of the top 6 pests expected to trend in the winter of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
How To Keep Winter Pests Out Of Your Business
In the winter months, competing end-of-year priorities may make pest control more of an afterthought. Probably because pests don’t come around during the colder months, right? Wrong. Pests are opportunistic — when they see your employees enjoying the warmth inside (and possibly some holiday treats in the break room), you can trust they want in on the festivities.
No Room for Pests in Thanksgiving Feasts
While you can’t prevent your relatives from embarrassing you this Thanksgiving, you can prevent pests from joining you at the table. With plenty of food and the opportunity for dropped crumbs and spilled drinks, Thanksgiving is any pest’s favourite holiday. But you can send pests packing this year by kicking them out the door before they even step inside
Remove pests from your business, and stop them from coming back
We work hard to listen, understand and assess your unique situation. Request a free, no-obligation consultation today for a customized pest program that fits your needs.Request a Free Business Consultation
Request a Free Home Estimate