While you can’t prevent your relatives from embarrassing you this Thanksgiving, you can prevent pests from joining you at the table. With plenty of food and the opportunity for dropped crumbs and spilled drinks, Thanksgiving is any pest’s favourite holiday. But you can send pests packing this year by kicking them out the door before they even step inside.
Top 5 Tips to Prevent Pests
Pests should be the last thing on your mind as you sit down at the table for your family dinner. These top five tips can help you keep pests away from your home – and out of the mashed potatoes – this fall.
- Keep it covered. Flies, cockroaches and rodents aren’t picky eaters, so a tasty Thanksgiving meal is too good for pests to resist. While food is sitting on the table or counter, keep it covered to prevent pests from taking a dip in your dish.
- Clean it up. Spilled food and residue on counter tops can be tempting to pests searching for their next food source. Wipe down any surfaces that have been touched by food to eliminate any residue and deter pests.
- Throw it out. Food waste that gets tossed in the trash makes the perfect meal for any hungry pest. Take out the trash after you are done cleaning up, and be sure all garbage is place in a covered bin away from your home to limit any potential pest attractors near your house.
- Put it away. Leftovers make a great next meal for pests, too. So, place any leftover food in tightly sealed containers and store it properly in the fridge. Avoid storing leftovers in paper bags or to-go containers that can be easily accessed by pests.
- Stop the stench. Is the smell of your Thanksgiving meal lingering in your home? Strong odours travel easily and can attract pests right to your kitchen. Use odour-neutralizing products to eliminate scents from engulfing your home.
Pests aren’t on the menu this Thanksgiving – and we want to help you keep it that way. Contact your local Orkin Canada branch to learn more about how you can prevent pest populations in your home this holiday season.
You may also like
Top 7 Pests Predicted To Trend In 2022
From mosquitoes and wildlife to ticks and flies, being prepared for spring and summer pests can have an impact on how enjoyable your time outdoors will be. Do not worry you are not alone, as the experienced team at Orkin Canada is there to help you prepare. After doing thorough research, we have put together a comprehensive list on the top 7 pests expected to trend in the summer of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
5 Tips To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies
To some, fruit flies are probably the most headache inducing pest to deal with. What these flies lack in stinging or biting power, they more than make up for in being a consistent nuisance in your home or business. Using our industry knowledge and expertise, we have put together five easy tips to keep fruit flies out of your kitchen.
Slow The Buzz: How To Keep Kitchens Free From Flies
Flies are an ever-present threat in the restaurant industry. As a manager, you’ve probably experienced how difficult it can be to keep these pests from disrupting your guest experience. That’s why it’s important to take steps to keep flies out of your building and away from your food, starting with the greatest food source of all: your kitchen. The best thing you can do to keep flies out of this food preparation area is to apply a proven fly management program comprised of monitoring, sanitation and exclusion techniques.
Practical Ways To Prevent Warm Weather Pests
Spring has arrived, and the pests are already starting to make their usual rounds. As they seek food, water and shelter, your home is like a bug and rodent oasis just waiting to be occupied. But nobody likes surprise invaders in their living space, which is why it’s crucial to recognize the most common threats and take action to prevent them.