Earwigs are attracted to lights and can become a nuisance on porches and patios, cause damage to plants in gardens and flower beds, and even inside your home. Earwigs also prefer cool, damp areas and being excellent climbers, may enter your home during extended dry periods.
Earwig Prevention Tips
Eliminating any potential hiding spots and entry points is key to controlling earwigs.
Landscaping Tips To Get Rid Of Earwigs
- Clean Up Yard Clutter – Move loose items or clutter away from your home’s foundation. Things like timber logs, mulch, grass clippings, decorative stones and piles of firewood are excellent harbourage areas for earwigs.
- Eliminate Moist Soil and Keep Vegetation Away from your House Foundation – If possible, create a harbourage free strip that is 6” to 12” wide next to the foundation so earwigs will avoid it. This area should be free of moisture, mulch, dead leaves, and any organic material as these are ideal food source and living space for earwigs. Keeping these conducive factors away from the house will help lower the area’s attractiveness to earwigs.
- Trim Back Any Overhanging Branches – Trimming trees and shrubs that can cause dampness and shady areas near the house and the foundation of your home will make the area less desirable to earwigs. Since earwigs are excellent climbers, trimming back branches and shrubs will help prevent them from entering the house via roof top level.
Tips For Around Your Home To Get Rid Of Earwigs
- Proper Drainage is Key – Examine your gutters and downspouts to make sure they drain away from your home’s foundation and that they are clean and free flowing. Backed up gutters, or anything else that can create wet spots near your home makes the area attractive to earwigs. If possible, set any irrigation systems to water in the morning and then allow the landscape to dry during the day.
- Fix Leaky Drains And Pipes – Earwigs prefer cool and moist locations. Look for and fix any pipes or drains that might be leaking. Eliminating these dripping spots will help eliminate the earwig’s ideal environment.
- Dry Out Any High Moisture Areas – In a damp basement a dehumidifier might help.
- Window Screen Holes – If you have screened windows, make sure that they are insect proof and not damaged and do not have holes. If damaged or torn, repair or replace. Ensure crawl space vents and other vents are appropriately screened. This will help eliminate any potential entry points.
- Seal Cracks, Gaps And Holes – Check around the exterior wall and foundation of your home, especially near entrances, vents and utility line entry points. Where feasible caulk any cracks and holes you find so that earwigs cannot find those small crevices and use them as an access point into your home.
Call for Professional Assistance with Earwig Removal
Earwigs can infest many different areas of your home and often a pest control professional will have the knowledge, products, and equipment to effectively control earwigs. Your local Orkin Canada pest specialist is trained to help manage earwigs and similar pests that may invade your home or business. Contact Orkin Canada today for professional earwig control.
You may also like
Top 6 Pests Expected To Trend In The Winter Of 2022
With winter weather around the corner, Canadians will start heading indoors to escape the cold. Just like humans, pests also look to seek refuge indoors as resources, such as food and water, become harder to find outside when the weather gets colder. In order to prevent a potential pest infestation from occurring on your property throughout the winter, we have put together a comprehensive list of the top 6 pests expected to trend in the winter of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
Top 4 Tips For A Pest-Free Halloween
You may have been tricked by the plastic bats and fake spider webs in your neighbourhood, but the pests trying to make your house their home can be the scariest trick during Halloween. From rodents trying to trick or treat inside your home to flies trying to enjoy your jack-o’-lanterns, pests are always looking for ways to get into the Halloween spirit (and your home). Don’t worry, you’re not alone in trying to pest proof your home, as your Orkin Canada Pro has put together a list of 4 quick tips that will help you keep pests out this Halloween.
Canada's Top 25 "Rattiest" Cities 2022
Pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds home owners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Atlantic Canada's Top 15 'Rattiest' Cities 2022
As winter approaches, pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds homeowners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022.