Earwigs are attracted to lights and can become a nuisance on porches and patios, cause damage to plants in gardens and flower beds, and even inside your home. Earwigs also prefer cool, damp areas and being excellent climbers, may enter your home during extended dry periods.
Earwig Prevention Tips
Eliminating any potential hiding spots and entry points is key to controlling earwigs.
Landscaping Tips To Get Rid Of Earwigs
- Clean Up Yard Clutter – Move loose items or clutter away from your home’s foundation. Things like timber logs, mulch, grass clippings, decorative stones and piles of firewood are excellent harbourage areas for earwigs.
- Eliminate Moist Soil and Keep Vegetation Away from your House Foundation – If possible, create a harbourage free strip that is 6” to 12” wide next to the foundation so earwigs will avoid it. This area should be free of moisture, mulch, dead leaves, and any organic material as these are ideal food source and living space for earwigs. Keeping these conducive factors away from the house will help lower the area’s attractiveness to earwigs.
- Trim Back Any Overhanging Branches – Trimming trees and shrubs that can cause dampness and shady areas near the house and the foundation of your home will make the area less desirable to earwigs. Since earwigs are excellent climbers, trimming back branches and shrubs will help prevent them from entering the house via roof top level.
Tips For Around Your Home To Get Rid Of Earwigs
- Proper Drainage is Key – Examine your gutters and downspouts to make sure they drain away from your home’s foundation and that they are clean and free flowing. Backed up gutters, or anything else that can create wet spots near your home makes the area attractive to earwigs. If possible, set any irrigation systems to water in the morning and then allow the landscape to dry during the day.
- Fix Leaky Drains And Pipes – Earwigs prefer cool and moist locations. Look for and fix any pipes or drains that might be leaking. Eliminating these dripping spots will help eliminate the earwig’s ideal environment.
- Dry Out Any High Moisture Areas – In a damp basement a dehumidifier might help.
- Window Screen Holes – If you have screened windows, make sure that they are insect proof and not damaged and do not have holes. If damaged or torn, repair or replace. Ensure crawl space vents and other vents are appropriately screened. This will help eliminate any potential entry points.
- Seal Cracks, Gaps And Holes – Check around the exterior wall and foundation of your home, especially near entrances, vents and utility line entry points. Where feasible caulk any cracks and holes you find so that earwigs cannot find those small crevices and use them as an access point into your home.
Call for Professional Assistance with Earwig Removal
Earwigs can infest many different areas of your home and often a pest control professional will have the knowledge, products, and equipment to effectively control earwigs. Your local Orkin Canada pest specialist is trained to help manage earwigs and similar pests that may invade your home or business. Contact Orkin Canada today for professional earwig control.
Reviewed by Alice Sinia, Ph.D., MSc on July 6 2021.
You may also like
How To Get Rid Of Flies
With warmer weather around the corner, Orkin Canada is prepared for the pests that come with the warmer weather and melting snow. Everyone is looking forward to flowers blooming, birds chirping, and flies coming in through the open door. Oh wait, not that last one! Flies are a nuisance that no one likes buzzing around inside their home or business. There are many different species of flies; however, they all can cause a threat to your peace of mind, while some are a threat to your health and wellbeing inside your home or business. Whether its cluster flies, house flies, or fruit flies, at Orkin Canada we have 70+ years of expert advice on how to get rid of these unwanted pests. These flies do not stand a chance up against the Orkin Canada technician.
Top 7 Pests Predicted To Trend In 2022
From mosquitoes and wildlife to ticks and flies, being prepared for spring and summer pests can have an impact on how enjoyable your time outdoors will be. Do not worry you are not alone, as the experienced team at Orkin Canada is there to help you prepare. After doing thorough research, we have put together a comprehensive list on the top 7 pests expected to trend in the summer of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
100 Facts About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are peculiar. It’s not surprising these creepy creatures sparked panic among their human hosts, who found themselves fed upon in the dark of the night while seemingly safe in their beds. For a time, people felt like they could escape the pests by the light of day. That’s until bed bugs started showing up in offices. And in retail centers. And theaters. And libraries. Though it sounds like a Hitchcockian horror movie, it’s just a typical day’s work for your Orkin Canada technician. From our learnings, we rounded up 100 facts about bed bugs! To give you a little preview of some of these bed bug facts, we've listed 10 interesting facts from our top 100.
4 Easy Tips To Pest Proof Your Garden
Spring is the perfect time to get the garden tools out and start getting the garden box ready to grow some vegetables and your favourite flowers. You might do this every year, or this is your first attempt at gardening, regardless of your experience level, we're here to help you keep pests out. Our experienced Ph.d. entomologist Alice Sinia has put together a few easy and simple tips keep your garden pest free.