Earwigs are attracted to lights and can become a nuisance on porches and patios, cause damage to plants in gardens and flower beds, and even inside your home. Earwigs also prefer cool, damp areas and being excellent climbers, may enter your home during extended dry periods.
Earwig Prevention Tips
Eliminating any potential hiding spots and entry points is key to controlling earwigs.
Landscaping Tips To Get Rid Of Earwigs
- Clean Up Yard Clutter – Move loose items or clutter away from your home’s foundation. Things like timber logs, mulch, grass clippings, decorative stones and piles of firewood are excellent harbourage areas for earwigs.
- Eliminate Moist Soil and Keep Vegetation Away from your House Foundation – If possible, create a harbourage free strip that is 6” to 12” wide next to the foundation so earwigs will avoid it. This area should be free of moisture, mulch, dead leaves, and any organic material as these are ideal food source and living space for earwigs. Keeping these conducive factors away from the house will help lower the area’s attractiveness to earwigs.
- Trim Back Any Overhanging Branches – Trimming trees and shrubs that can cause dampness and shady areas near the house and the foundation of your home will make the area less desirable to earwigs. Since earwigs are excellent climbers, trimming back branches and shrubs will help prevent them from entering the house via roof top level.
Tips For Around Your Home To Get Rid Of Earwigs
- Proper Drainage is Key – Examine your gutters and downspouts to make sure they drain away from your home’s foundation and that they are clean and free flowing. Backed up gutters, or anything else that can create wet spots near your home makes the area attractive to earwigs. If possible, set any irrigation systems to water in the morning and then allow the landscape to dry during the day.
- Fix Leaky Drains And Pipes – Earwigs prefer cool and moist locations. Look for and fix any pipes or drains that might be leaking. Eliminating these dripping spots will help eliminate the earwig’s ideal environment.
- Dry Out Any High Moisture Areas – In a damp basement a dehumidifier might help.
- Window Screen Holes – If you have screened windows, make sure that they are insect proof and not damaged and do not have holes. If damaged or torn, repair or replace. Ensure crawl space vents and other vents are appropriately screened. This will help eliminate any potential entry points.
- Seal Cracks, Gaps And Holes – Check around the exterior wall and foundation of your home, especially near entrances, vents and utility line entry points. Where feasible caulk any cracks and holes you find so that earwigs cannot find those small crevices and use them as an access point into your home.
Call for Professional Assistance with Earwig Removal
Earwigs can infest many different areas of your home and often a pest control professional will have the knowledge, products, and equipment to effectively control earwigs. Your local Orkin Canada pest specialist is trained to help manage earwigs and similar pests that may invade your home or business. Contact Orkin Canada today for professional earwig control.
Reviewed by Alice Sinia, Ph.D., MSc on July 6 2021.
You may also like
Ontario's Top 25 "Rattiest" Cities 2021
Pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds home owners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2020 through July 31, 2021. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
5 Tips To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies
To some, fruit flies are probably the most headache inducing pest to deal with. What these flies lack in stinging or biting power, they more than make up for in being a consistent nuisance in your home or business. Using our industry knowledge and expertise, we have put together five easy tips to keep fruit flies out of your kitchen.
What You Need To Know About Rodents During The COVID-19 Pandemic
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been immediate, and long lasting, with businesses having to adjust the way operations take place. While for you and I the impact has been quite easy to see; from wearing masks and carrying sanitizer wherever you go to avoiding contact with others. The one aspect that often is overlooked is the impact the pandemic has had on rodents, as these pesky pests are having to adapt like everyone else
How To Get Rid Of Rats
Rats can be a nuisance for any homeowner to deal with. As these pests can transmit diseases and can even cause damage to your home and property, thereby compromising the structure and potentially even creating possible fire hazards. Don’t worry, as Orkin Canada is here to help. Using our extensive experience, we’ve put together a list of the six most effective ways to get rid of rats in your home.