The end of winter means the beginning of vivid, green summers. But it also means the arrival of something far less pleasant—severe flooding. When snow starts melting, it’s important to be prepared for the long-term consequences of floods, including increased pest activity.
But water isn’t the only problem that comes along with this yearly phenomenon. Pest activity skyrockets during these periods, which is why it’s critical to be prepared for these unwanted nuisances before their arrival.
Here’s a sampling of what you can do to stay flood-ready:
- Cover gutters with mesh. This helps prevent debris like leaves from piling up and clogging gutters, eliminating potential places for pests to hide.
- Repair and maintain window and door screens. Make sure all screens fit tightly and are free of holes.
- Seal cracks and gaps around the building’s exterior. Did you know that rats can fit through holes as small as a quarter? The rats already know, and they’ll take advantage of their diminutive size to make themselves at home before you ever see them.
And while it’s important to take proactive measures before a flood begins, it’s equally as crucial to conduct a thorough inspection in the aftermath. During inspection, make sure to:
- Eliminate any leftover standing water. Pests are always looking for water sources, and standing water provides an ideal place for them to take up residence.
- Remove clutter. Bugs and mice are hide-and-seek experts, so they enjoy messy spaces which allow them to crawl in and set up shop undetected.
- Clean up fallen tree branches and vegetation. Plant debris often serves as a pest haven in the aftermath of a flood.
These are just a few of the things you can do before and after a flood to keep pests at bay. Download “Something in the Water – Flooding” for even more details on how to rid yourself of vile visitors after a flood.
You may also like
Rats Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Where do rats nest? What diseases do rats carry that could affect humans? Get the answers to the most frequently asked questions, answered by the experts at Orkin Canada.
Ants Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What attracts ants into my home? How do I get rid of ants and prevent their colony from growing? Get the answers to the most frequently asked questions on ants, all answered by the experts at Orkin Canada.
Bed Bugs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I know if I've been bitten by a bed bug? How do I identify a bed bug when I see one? Get the answers to the most frequently asked questions on bed bugs, all answered by the experts at Orkin Canada.
How To Keep The Cockroaches Out
We’ve all seen them before. They scamper across the floor and the walls, causing panic as they appear around corners or amongst stored food items. But don’t be fooled by the fact that cockroaches are so common—they’re still some of the filthiest pests imaginable.