Summer is peak season for pests in your business
The warm weather doesn’t just attract more customers to your business, it also attracts pests too.
As the mercury rises pest activity starts to increase as well, so it’s important to be extra vigilant about pest control in summertime when these problems are at their peak.
Whether your facility is based in the city or out in the country, there is a strong chance you’ll encounter at least one of the typical summer pests.
Knowing what to look for and how to keep these pests at bay will ensure they don’t ruin your business during the peak summer months.
In summer, foraging ants are attracted by food and water, and enter businesses through the tiniest of cracks to scavenge for edible items.
Controlling them can be difficult. But not only are ants unsightly and a nuisance, they can also cause serious damage to your business by chewing wood, insulation, and electrical cables. Some species also spread disease and sting.
To prevent an invasion from ants this summer:
- Keep your facility sanitary and maintain a strict cleaning schedule.
- Use organic cleaners to help eliminate the grease and grime pests feed on and breed in.
- Implement a deep-cleaning schedule and assign staff specific roles to ensure cleanliness is a constant priority.
- Regularly empty trash cans.
- Frequently used trash cans should be power-washed once a month to get rid of residual trash and odours.
- Regularly inspect your premises for ants.
- Keep the structure well maintained, repair all cracks in walls and foundations, and keep doors, windows, and entry points sealed.
Mosquitoes flock to urban areas in the summertime to lay their eggs on standing water. Their constant buzzing and annoying bites make them a nuisance – but they’re much more than that.
Mosquito bites can cause very painful inflammation and some can transmit diseases.
To keep these pests away:
- It’s advisable to remove any standing water around your facility.
- If possible fill redundant ditches or holes.
- Keep ponds, water features and fountains clear.
- Trim back all tall vegetation.
Termites can cause a serious problem to businesses during the summer months. These particular pests are extremely destructive, able to completely excavate through wooden floors, furniture, window frames, doors, panelling, and other important structural components of buildings.
- Regularly check for signs of infestation including piles of discarded wings, which is a tell tale sign of a termite problem.
- The key to preventing termites invading your facility is to reduce moisture levels.
- Fix any leaky plumbing and gutters, ensure all drainage is free flowing, and trim back shrubbery and trees.
Cockroaches thrive in summertime. That’s bad news for businesses where these unsightly pests can cause all manner of problems.
Not only are they unsightly and likely to harm your operation, they can also carry disease and spoil stock – including glue, leather, fabric, soap, toothpaste, common pantry items, and any other products you may have at your facility.
While there’s nothing less welcoming for clients, guests and employees than germ-filled facilities. The opposite is true of cockroaches, which find the environment and the plentiful food, water and shelter very inviting.
To stop cockroaches invading your operation this summer:
- Follow a strict daily sanitation routine.
- Seal entry points around your facility.
- Inspect incoming supplies, especially any corrugated boxes.
- Regularly inspect your premises for signs of activity.
- Periodically inspect and clean employee lockers.
- Use organic cleaners to help eliminate the grease and grime pests feed on and breed in.
Even in summer, spiders like to build webs in dark, moist environments like basements, garages, or undisturbed corners of your facility.
Spiders are not known to transmit diseases to humans, but their presence can be alarming for many people, particularly those affected by arachnophobia.
To prevent a spider infestation:
- Seal cracks and crevices in your facility’s exterior.
- Replace broken window and door screens.
- Keep your business clean and free of insects.
- Ensure your facility is well ventilated.
- If you do see spider webs, remove them.
Wasps and Bees
Wasps and honey bees can be a real issue at this time of year.
Both are capable of giving painful stings, and their presence can put even the most committed customers off of your business – not to mention the upset they can cause your employees.
To help keep wasps and bees at bay:
- Keep a light on in areas where wasps may nest around your business, as they prefer to rest in the dark.
- Paint, stain, or weather-treat wood structures.
- Seal all potential entry points to your premises and trim back bushes and vegetation surrounding them.
- Reduce potential nesting sites, food, and other pests.
- Crucially, do not disturb nesting sites or provoke bees and wasps. If you do find a bee or wasp nest on your property, call a professional pest control service to ensure it is safely destroyed.
Bed bugs are seeing a resurgence in Canada and even the cleanest of businesses can fall victim to these painful pests.
Bed bugs hiding on your property are sure to bite and feed on any sleeping guests, literally destroying your commercial reputation overnight.
Bed bugs are attracted to the carbon dioxide and warmth that humans emit, which makes them particularly drawn to multi-unit buildings with lots of turnover, like hotels or rental apartments.
To guard against an invasion of bed bugs:
- Clean and vacuum bedrooms regularly.
- Protect mattresses with encasements.
- Seal cracks in walls, trim, and bed frames.
- Regularly inspect for live or dead bugs or their skins, and use light coloured sheets so it’s easier to see those red spots.
- Engage your staff to stay ahead of any infestations. Your staff should know what bed bugs look like and where to find them, and be able to visually inspect hot areas.
Raccoons target dumpsters and garbage on their hunt for food, but they’ll also happily set up home in if your premises have a suitable spot.
These pests can do massive structural damage to your property, especially if they decide to raise their young there. They can also carry various diseases dangerous to humans, such as rabies and the parasitic raccoon roundworm.
To prevent a raccoon invasion this summer:
- Cover all possible entrances to your premises.
- Remove potential food sources, and use trash cans with tight-fitted lids.
- Trim back any overgrown trees and foliage.
- If you find a raccoon on your property, call a professional pest control service to have it removed safely, humanely, and legally.
At a commercial property, rodents can certainly disrupt business. In addition to harbouring and transmitting diseases that can potentially harm employees and guests, rodents can deal a blow to your bottom line.
These pests can even cause property damage when they gnaw on materials, burrow through walls and chew through electrical wiring (which can even start a fire). If that’s not enough, their presence itself could damage your reputation if spotted by customers or reported in an audit or posted online.
To stop these small pests from adding up to a big problem for your business:
- Regularly conduct checks to identify if you have a problem. Gnaw marks on electrical wiring, rub marks along the base of walls and tiny holes in the wall near the floor are all signs of rodent activity.
- Inspect for small, pellet-like droppings around your facility.
- Conduct regular maintenance to ensure there are no openings for the rodents to get in.
- If you are worried about rodents call in the experts. It’s much easier to prevent them from setting up shop in your business than deal with the fallout if they do.
More than 20 species of tree, flying, and ground squirrels can be found throughout Canada, and most of them know they can get a constant supply of food and shelter near businesses.
Since they can scale buildings with ease, squirrels often enter businesses through openings around roofs, where they chew on electrical wiring, rip insulation from walls, and disturb customers and employees with their noise. Squirrels also carry parasites that spread diseases.
To stop squirrels entering your business:
- Build fences above and below ground.
- Seal any entry points into your business, and remove all overhanging branches.
- To safely and humanely have a squirrel removed, you’ll need a professional pest control service.
Our Commercial Triple Guarantee
Resolving your pest problem is our #1 priority. If re-treatment is required, we'll provide immediate services at no extra cost. If your expectations are not met, we guarantee a full refund of your service payment.
24-Hour Response Guarantee
When you see a pest, you need service right away. Orkin Canada will respond to your request within 24 hours.
If you are not completely satisfied with a regularly scheduled treatment, we will re-treat the area, or refund your last monthly payment.
If your company is fined by a regulatory agency due solely to a pest infestation, Orkin Canada will reimburse you for up to 6 months of service.*
*Your account must be current, under contract for more than 60 days, and you must be compliant with sanitation and structural requests as noted in Orkin Canada's service reports.
What our customers have to say
Our technician is awesome. Thanks for making the transition easy. Love the metrics and transparency of the program.
Our technician was very informative and took the time to explain the problem I was having with rodents and how they react to Orkin's product. His personal care made my situation so much easier.
Our representative is very informative and quickly goes about his work. I am very pleased with his explanation for placing bait stations where he did and so on. Sometimes it is hot and he carries right on with what he has to do. It is a nasty job.
I've been a customer for almost 7 years and Orkin have never been disappointed.
The service manager is great as he has pointed out lots of things I need to do to prevent mice from coming into the building. He is very knowledgeable and knows what he is talking about.
I'm glad to see that you acquired dogs for bed bug solutions. Works very well!!!!!!
Our business requested additional services and the management visited our site to ensure the proper help was given, and was very helpful.
Our technician is professional and prompt. I appreciate that you seem to limit unnecessary use of pesticides and take precautions to limit my family's exposure.
The service was great. Fast, friendly and efficient. After spraying my inside baseboards there was just a faint, pleasant smell when I returned after 4 hours. No ants in sight now. Thank you!
Our technician was awesome. He took his time and did a great job, and answered any questions we had. He was very professional and knowledgable.
Timely response time, courteousness, professionalism. Appointments easy to book and fit in with our schedule.
Your guys are very courteous, knowledgable and the rate is comparable to others. Service is fast, efficient.
Very respectful service. Will go the extra mile to ensure everything is handled. Thank you so much for all your help.
Our technician is attentive, kind, honest and hardworking. We are pleased to have Orkin to help us with pest control. Thanks!
The technician who did the inspection is very well qualified, friendly, approachable, and professional. Seeing him work is a pleasure. Thanks!
Prompt, courteous, caring and highly professional services. We've been very pleased to take part in the Home Owner Protection Plan for more than 15 years.
I like that you come monthly and it is your scheduled visit. I don't have to remember to call! I appreciate getting the email after your visit, so I know what is going on on the outside of my place.
We have been loyal customers for over 20 years and couldn't imagine being without the great services offered by Orkin. Being severely allergic to stinging insect bites, I trust only Orkin with our home, and personal safety.
My technician was careful, detailed with his work and very pleasant. He was not afraid to climb my difficult property and make extra effort to ensure he had found all of the bait stations. Excellent job, thank you.
Our technician was excellent. Courteous, on time, and thorough. He takes his job seriously and tackles the job as if our home were his own. I would recommend him to friends & neighbours without hesitation.
Orkin Canada's passion for pest control shows in everything our team does. Every member of staff receives expert training to succeed in our roles and to deliver the best service to our clients.
Orkin has given me endless opportunities to grow both professionally and personally. I feel not just apart of a team but also a part of a family.
I have worked at Orkin Canada for almost 19 years and have never considered working anywhere else. There are substantial opportunities for advancement for anyone desiring to challenge themselves and both local and national support to complete a job.
As a Customer Service Representative, I enjoy providing peace of mind for our customers and solving problems. Orkin also offers excellent training and advancement opportunities for all employees.
Orkin is a great place to start and grow your career. I have personally held positions, from technician to management positions, and have enjoyed every step of my journey.
Remove pests from your business, and stop them from coming back
We work hard to listen, understand and assess your unique situation. Request a free, no-obligation consultation today for a customized pest program that fits your needs.Request a Free Business Consultation
Request a Free Home Estimate