Spring brings pests out of hibernation and into your business
Pests usually take the winter off, as cold weather forces many species into hibernation. But as the weather starts to warm they start to emerge from their hiding spots and head straight for your business.
Spring can be a difficult time for business-owners as they battle pests who are on the hunt for food, water and shelter. But there are things you can do to stop pests from infesting your premises.
Read on below to find out about some common springtime pests and how you can combat them.
In spring, a whole range of ants can infest your business. More than just a nuisance, ants can cause structural damage and some species can even carry and transmit pathogens.
From structures on your premises to the sidewalks outside of them, ants of all kinds can be a real nuisance to your organization. At best they are a nuisance, at worst they could actually damage your property or put off customers.
To prevent an invasion from ants this spring:
- Seal openings around doors, windows and the foundation with weather resistant sealant.
- Clean up spills and food debris immediately.
- Rinse food containers prior to disposal.
When the temperature rises, termites often swarm inside businesses before moving outdoors to search for food and water.
Once they have taken up residence in your organization they can be extremely destructive, able to completely excavate through wooden floors, furniture, window frames, doors, panelling, and other important structural components of buildings.
To turn termites away from your business this spring:
- Look out for piles of discarded wings, a sure sign that you might have a termite infestation.
- Regularly inspect lighting fixtures and window sills which are common places for termites ot congregate.
- The key to preventing termites invading your facility is to reduce moisture levels.
- Fix any leaky plumbing and gutters, ensure all drainage is free flowing.
- Trim back shrubbery and trees to stop them from getting easy access.
The farther south you are, the earlier the mosquito season will start, the longer it will last, and the more of a nuisance they will be.
At best mosquitoes can be annoying for your clients and customers, at worst they can be hazardous to their health.
These critters can be hard to control, but there are still steps you can take to prevent them from infecting your business this spring:
- Remove any standing water around your facility.
- Fill redundant ditches or holes.
- Keep ponds, fountains and water features clear.
- Trim back all tall vegetation.
Cockroaches may be emerging after overwintering in your business, or perhaps they are new arrivals, seeking the warm, damp shelter close to food and water your facility has to offer.
Once there, cockroaches can cause a real issue for your organization. Not only are they unsanitary, but they can also shock customers and cause untold damage to your reputation.
To stop cockroaches invading your business:
- Follow a strict daily sanitation routine.
- Seal entry points around your facility.
- Inspect incoming supplies, especially any corrugated boxes.
- Periodically inspect and clean employee lockers.
Fruit fly populations tend to grow during the warmer months, entering businesses through open windows and doors, following the odours of ripe fruit, or by hitchhiking on your produce deliveries.
Though these flies don’t bite, they do cause a nuisance to commercial operations.
To protect your business from fruit flies this season:
- Reduce the presence of ripe fruits and vegetables.
- Keep fruit and vegetables in the refrigerator.
- Remove all rotting, decomposing produce.
- Be sure to close the lids on all garbage and waste containers.
- Move dumpsters away from the building.
- Ensure a strict sanitation schedule that focuses on cleaning drains.
- Perform upkeep to replace broken tiles, remove standing water, and seal any crevices or cracks that may provide entry points.
In spring, you may see spiders emerging after spending the winter keeping warm in your business. They usually infest basements, garages, or undisturbed corners of your facility, after gaining entry through cracks and crevices.
The presence can be alarming for many people, particularly those affected by arachnophobia, while their webs are also considered unsightly by many customers.
To prevent a spider infestation in your business this spring:
- Seal cracks and crevices in your facility’s exterior.
- Replace broken window and door screens.
- Keep your business clean and free of insects.
- Ensure your facility is well ventilated.
- If you do see spider webs, remove them.
Wasps and Bees
Wasps and honey bees make their debut this time of year and can easily be mistaken for one another.
Both insects are capable of giving painful stings, and their presence can put even the most committed customers off of your business, not to mention upsetting your employees.
To help keep wasps and bees at bay:
- Keep a light on in areas where wasps may nest around your business, as they prefer to rest in the dark.
- Paint, stain, or weather-treat wood structures.
- Seal all potential entry points to your premises and trim back bushes and vegetation surrounding them.
- Reduce potential nesting sites, food, and other pests.
- Crucially, do not disturb nesting sites or provoke bees and wasps. If you do find a bee or wasp nest on your property, call a professional pest control service to ensure it is safely destroyed.
Our Commercial Triple Guarantee
Resolving your pest problem is our #1 priority. If re-treatment is required, we'll provide immediate services at no extra cost. If your expectations are not met, we guarantee a full refund of your service payment.
24-Hour Response Guarantee
When you see a pest, you need service right away. Orkin Canada will respond to your request within 24 hours.
If you are not completely satisfied with a regularly scheduled treatment, we will re-treat the area, or refund your last monthly payment.
If your company is fined by a regulatory agency due solely to a pest infestation, Orkin Canada will reimburse you for up to 6 months of service.*
*Your account must be current, under contract for more than 60 days, and you must be compliant with sanitation and structural requests as noted in Orkin Canada's service reports.
What our customers have to say
Our technician is awesome. Thanks for making the transition easy. Love the metrics and transparency of the program.
Our technician was very informative and took the time to explain the problem I was having with rodents and how they react to Orkin's product. His personal care made my situation so much easier.
Our representative is very informative and quickly goes about his work. I am very pleased with his explanation for placing bait stations where he did and so on. Sometimes it is hot and he carries right on with what he has to do. It is a nasty job.
I've been a customer for almost 7 years and Orkin have never been disappointed.
The service manager is great as he has pointed out lots of things I need to do to prevent mice from coming into the building. He is very knowledgeable and knows what he is talking about.
I'm glad to see that you acquired dogs for bed bug solutions. Works very well!!!!!!
Our business requested additional services and the management visited our site to ensure the proper help was given, and was very helpful.
Our technician is professional and prompt. I appreciate that you seem to limit unnecessary use of pesticides and take precautions to limit my family's exposure.
The service was great. Fast, friendly and efficient. After spraying my inside baseboards there was just a faint, pleasant smell when I returned after 4 hours. No ants in sight now. Thank you!
Our technician was awesome. He took his time and did a great job, and answered any questions we had. He was very professional and knowledgable.
Timely response time, courteousness, professionalism. Appointments easy to book and fit in with our schedule.
Your guys are very courteous, knowledgable and the rate is comparable to others. Service is fast, efficient.
Very respectful service. Will go the extra mile to ensure everything is handled. Thank you so much for all your help.
Our technician is attentive, kind, honest and hardworking. We are pleased to have Orkin to help us with pest control. Thanks!
The technician who did the inspection is very well qualified, friendly, approachable, and professional. Seeing him work is a pleasure. Thanks!
Prompt, courteous, caring and highly professional services. We've been very pleased to take part in the Home Owner Protection Plan for more than 15 years.
I like that you come monthly and it is your scheduled visit. I don't have to remember to call! I appreciate getting the email after your visit, so I know what is going on on the outside of my place.
We have been loyal customers for over 20 years and couldn't imagine being without the great services offered by Orkin. Being severely allergic to stinging insect bites, I trust only Orkin with our home, and personal safety.
My technician was careful, detailed with his work and very pleasant. He was not afraid to climb my difficult property and make extra effort to ensure he had found all of the bait stations. Excellent job, thank you.
Our technician was excellent. Courteous, on time, and thorough. He takes his job seriously and tackles the job as if our home were his own. I would recommend him to friends & neighbours without hesitation.
Orkin Canada's passion for pest control shows in everything our team does. Every member of staff receives expert training to succeed in our roles and to deliver the best service to our clients.
Orkin has given me endless opportunities to grow both professionally and personally. I feel not just apart of a team but also a part of a family.
I have worked at Orkin Canada for almost 19 years and have never considered working anywhere else. There are substantial opportunities for advancement for anyone desiring to challenge themselves and both local and national support to complete a job.
As a Customer Service Representative, I enjoy providing peace of mind for our customers and solving problems. Orkin also offers excellent training and advancement opportunities for all employees.
Orkin is a great place to start and grow your career. I have personally held positions, from technician to management positions, and have enjoyed every step of my journey.