As hard as you work to keep pests out, you never know when they will creep inside. Food processing facilities are a jackpot for pests – providing the shelter, food and water they need to survive. That’s why we are here to help narrow down your search for these invaders and provide helpful tips to prevent the pesky intruders. Here are just a few hot spots around your facility that you should check so pests don’t bite into your products – and ultimately your profits:
Keeping the outside of your facility trim and pristine can do more for the inside of your facility than you may think. These outdoor hotspots commonly allure pests:
- Landscaping. Overgrown tree branches, overflowing trash and unruly bushes around your building can create an influx of unwanted pests crawling into your facility.
- Trash Areas. One man’s trash is an all you can eat buffet for a rodent. This is often the most appealing area for pests, so maintain regular sanitation and pickup.
- Lighting. While it may not not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of pest protection, lighting can attract bugs. So, be sure you aren’t using the wrong lights and attracting unwanted bugs.
Once inside the facility, there are a host of hot spots for pests to seek shelter. Maintain a watchful eye on these areas:
- Flood Drains. Often an entry point for small insects, be sure to clean these drains and clear out debris regularly.
- Storage Areas. Pests can often hide and thrive in storage areas if they aren’t checked regularly. Inspect all incoming shipments and boxes going into the storage area and look for contaminated or broken boxes.
- Break Rooms and Lockers. Make sure employees clean up after themselves and no crumbs are left behind that could attract a hungry pest.
These are only a few of many hot spots to be on the lookout for in and around your facility. Learn more about how to spot problems at every point on the heat map by downloading “Outside In: Mapping Food Processing’s Pest Hot Spots.”
You may also like
How To Get Rid Of Flies
With warmer weather around the corner, Orkin Canada is prepared for the pests that come with the warmer weather and melting snow. Everyone is looking forward to flowers blooming, birds chirping, and flies coming in through the open door. Oh wait, not that last one! Flies are a nuisance that no one likes buzzing around inside their home or business. There are many different species of flies; however, they all can cause a threat to your peace of mind, while some are a threat to your health and wellbeing inside your home or business. Whether its cluster flies, house flies, or fruit flies, at Orkin Canada we have 70+ years of expert advice on how to get rid of these unwanted pests. These flies do not stand a chance up against the Orkin Canada technician.
Top 7 Pests Predicted To Trend In 2022
From mosquitoes and wildlife to ticks and flies, being prepared for spring and summer pests can have an impact on how enjoyable your time outdoors will be. Do not worry you are not alone, as the experienced team at Orkin Canada is there to help you prepare. After doing thorough research, we have put together a comprehensive list on the top 7 pests expected to trend in the summer of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
100 Facts About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are peculiar. It’s not surprising these creepy creatures sparked panic among their human hosts, who found themselves fed upon in the dark of the night while seemingly safe in their beds. For a time, people felt like they could escape the pests by the light of day. That’s until bed bugs started showing up in offices. And in retail centers. And theaters. And libraries. Though it sounds like a Hitchcockian horror movie, it’s just a typical day’s work for your Orkin Canada technician. From our learnings, we rounded up 100 facts about bed bugs! To give you a little preview of some of these bed bug facts, we've listed 10 interesting facts from our top 100.
4 Easy Tips To Pest Proof Your Garden
Spring is the perfect time to get the garden tools out and start getting the garden box ready to grow some vegetables and your favourite flowers. You might do this every year, or this is your first attempt at gardening, regardless of your experience level, we're here to help you keep pests out. Our experienced Ph.d. entomologist Alice Sinia has put together a few easy and simple tips keep your garden pest free.