As hard as you work to keep pests out, you never know when they will creep inside. Food processing facilities are a jackpot for pests – providing the shelter, food and water they need to survive. That’s why we are here to help narrow down your search for these invaders and provide helpful tips to prevent the pesky intruders. Here are just a few hot spots around your facility that you should check so pests don’t bite into your products – and ultimately your profits:
Keeping the outside of your facility trim and pristine can do more for the inside of your facility than you may think. These outdoor hotspots commonly allure pests:
- Landscaping. Overgrown tree branches, overflowing trash and unruly bushes around your building can create an influx of unwanted pests crawling into your facility.
- Trash Areas. One man’s trash is an all you can eat buffet for a rodent. This is often the most appealing area for pests, so maintain regular sanitation and pickup.
- Lighting. While it may not not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of pest protection, lighting can attract bugs. So, be sure you aren’t using the wrong lights and attracting unwanted bugs.
Once inside the facility, there are a host of hot spots for pests to seek shelter. Maintain a watchful eye on these areas:
- Flood Drains. Often an entry point for small insects, be sure to clean these drains and clear out debris regularly.
- Storage Areas. Pests can often hide and thrive in storage areas if they aren’t checked regularly. Inspect all incoming shipments and boxes going into the storage area and look for contaminated or broken boxes.
- Break Rooms and Lockers. Make sure employees clean up after themselves and no crumbs are left behind that could attract a hungry pest.
These are only a few of many hot spots to be on the lookout for in and around your facility. Learn more about how to spot problems at every point on the heat map by downloading “Outside In: Mapping Food Processing’s Pest Hot Spots.”
You may also like
Top Pests Expected To Trend In The Summer Of 2023
Warm weather is around the corner, which means pests that have been overwintering or hibernating will wake up as well as non-hibernating pests will start making an appearance outdoors. Being prepared for those spring and summer pests can have an impact on how enjoyable your time will be at home or at work. Using industry leading expertise, we have put together a comprehensive list on the top 8 pests expected to trend in the summer of 2023. This list will provide a deeper dive into the impact that pests can have on your property, along with prevention tips to keep your home or business pest-free.
Canada's Top 25 Bed Bug Cities Of 2022
Bed bugs are extremely efficient hitch hikers. They can move easily across a room and climb onto luggage or anything left on a bed in just one night. Learn which cities have made Canada’s top 25 bed buggiest cities.
Top 6 Pests Expected To Trend In The Winter Of 2022
With winter weather around the corner, Canadians will start heading indoors to escape the cold. Just like humans, pests also look to seek refuge indoors as resources, such as food and water, become harder to find outside when the weather gets colder. In order to prevent a potential pest infestation from occurring on your property throughout the winter, we have put together a comprehensive list of the top 6 pests expected to trend in the winter of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
Top 4 Tips For A Pest-Free Halloween
You may have been tricked by the plastic bats and fake spider webs in your neighbourhood, but the pests trying to make your house their home can be the scariest trick during Halloween. From rodents trying to trick or treat inside your home to flies trying to enjoy your jack-o’-lanterns, pests are always looking for ways to get into the Halloween spirit (and your home). Don’t worry, you’re not alone in trying to pest proof your home, as your Orkin Canada Pro has put together a list of 4 quick tips that will help you keep pests out this Halloween.
Remove pests from your business, and stop them from coming back
We work hard to listen, understand and assess your unique situation. Request a free, no-obligation consultation today for a customized pest program that fits your needs.Request a Free Business Consultation
Request a Free Home Estimate