While spiders and spider webs make the perfect Halloween accessories, you probably want to stick with store-bought decorations rather than allowing spiders to spin their webs around your property. These eight-legged pests can not only reduce your property’s curb appeal but can also scare off any guests or trick-or-treaters stopping by this fall.
Spinning a Web
As you get ready to decorate for the spookiest season of the year, be sure to eliminate any existing spider webs around your property. Spiders can either hitchhike their way inside on pets or belongings or sneak in through cracks and gaps around windows and doors. Spiders prey on other insects, so a spider problem is a red flag that you have more pests hiding out. To keep an eye on spider infestations, look for webs in these hot spots:
- Ceilings. Ceilings and roof eaves are rarely disturbed, making them the perfect spot for spiders to spin their webs.
- Darker, sheltered areas. Cabinets, closets and basement corners are ideal destinations for spider webs. These dark, less-trafficked areas provide the shelter spiders need to remain undisturbed – not to mention flies and other pests in these areas can easily become their next meal.
- Vegetation. Logs and flower beds are just a few places where spiders can be found outside. Rock piles, trees and other sheltered sites can also provide arachnids with the coverage they need to survive.
Cleaning Up Spider Webs
Immediate spider web removal is essential to controlling spiders in and around your property. In addition to removing webs, reducing these pests’ temptation to make your property their home is important to keep them out. Try these tricks to limit spider populations:
- Routinely inspect your property to identify common web locations.
- Use a broom or vacuum to remove existing webs.
- Reduce spiders’ food sources by eliminating other pests, like flies.
- Seal any structural deficiencies that act as pest entryways.
If spiders spinning a web around your building, call your Orkin Canada branch to learn how to spot spider webs around your property and remove any pest populations this fall.
You may also like
Time for Your Business to Terminate Termites
Are termites eating away at your business? Not only do these pests show up to work unannounced, but they toil away at your building’s structure - often undetected until it is too late.
Everything You Need to Know About Ticks
Are ticks ticking you off? Ticks are not only a nuisance, but also can cause serious health issues with the pathogens they transmit. Knowing how to prevent and respond to tick bites is incredibly important to protect you and your family from these blood-sucking pests.
Boxing Day: Clutter and Pests
A pest infestation is something that no friend or family wants to receive this holiday season. Unfortunately for humans, wrapping paper, cardboard, glue and other clutter that gathers around the holidays make the ideal meal and hiding place for pests like cockroaches and rodents. This Boxing Day, don’t let a pest infestation chew into time spent shopping and enjoying time with loved ones.
Beating the Bite: Mosquito Prevention
Nothing screams mosquito season like the soft buzz in your ear that follows you around throughout your day. We get it – mosquitoes aren’t a friend to anyone. So, with summer well on its way, what can you do to keep these bugs at bay?