For food processors, the COVID-19 pandemic has created a rapidly changing industry landscape. From delays in shipping and payments to lowered production capacity, there have been a myriad of challenges to confront and address. Not least of these is the spread of the disease itself.
That’s why every food processing company should have procedures and plans in place to ensure a healthy, clean environment. Just one sickened employee or customer could have significant ramifications for a company’s operations, not to mention its reputation and bottom line.
Here are a few basic tips for lowering the risk of disease transmission:
- Regularly clean and disinfect any frequently-touched items or surfaces.
- Be sure that any disinfectant solutions you’re using are on Health Canada’s list of disinfectants with evidence for use against COVID-19. Disinfectants all have different contact time requirements to effectively kill viruses, so read the virus table on the label to ensure you leave the disinfectant on the surface long enough to kill the virus.
- Ensure staff are given permission to stay home if they feel sick or know they are sick.
- Create floor markings to indicate proper social distancing guidance of 2 metres, and keep staff and customers appropriately distanced.
- Wear a non-medical mask or face covering made with at least two layers of tightly woven fabric, constructed to completely cover the nose and mouth without gaping, and secured to the head by ties or ear loops, per Canadian government guidelines.
- Offer added handwashing stations or facilities if possible. These should include soap, water and hand sanitizer. In addition, advise all employees not to touch their faces.
Furthermore, working with a professional is one of the best ways to bolster one’s safety procedures. This means a licensed provider will carefully treat the facility, including all high-touch areas, to eliminate harmful pathogens.
Orkin® VitalClean™ does just that, offering the following features:
- Health Canada-registered and labeled for use against a wide variety of pathogens; included on Health Canada’s list of products that meet their criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19
- Label assures 99.999% disinfection of hard, non-porous surfaces
- Can be applied to soft surfaces as well (many disinfectants do not allow this)
- Eco-friendly with low toxicity
- Safe for food contact surfaces
- Allows spaces to dry and become usable again quickly
Of course, there’s no silver bullet for stopping the spread of COVID-19 at this point, but a powerful disinfection service—coupled with social distancing, proper hygiene and the appropriate use of face coverings—can help reduce the risks and restore a safer and healthier environment.
These are quite obviously unprecedented times. Food processors continue to adapt and make the changes necessary to keep up with shifting demand amidst the backdrop of the global pandemic. Consider using the tips outlined above to promote peace of mind and keep operations running smoothly at your company.
You may also like
Ontario's Top 25 "Rattiest" Cities 2021
Pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds home owners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2020 through July 31, 2021. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
5 Tips To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies
To some, fruit flies are probably the most headache inducing pest to deal with. What these flies lack in stinging or biting power, they more than make up for in being a consistent nuisance in your home or business. Using our industry knowledge and expertise, we have put together five easy tips to keep fruit flies out of your kitchen.
What You Need To Know About Rodents During The COVID-19 Pandemic
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been immediate, and long lasting, with businesses having to adjust the way operations take place. While for you and I the impact has been quite easy to see; from wearing masks and carrying sanitizer wherever you go to avoiding contact with others. The one aspect that often is overlooked is the impact the pandemic has had on rodents, as these pesky pests are having to adapt like everyone else
How To Get Rid Of Rats
Rats can be a nuisance for any homeowner to deal with. As these pests can transmit diseases and can even cause damage to your home and property, thereby compromising the structure and potentially even creating possible fire hazards. Don’t worry, as Orkin Canada is here to help. Using our extensive experience, we’ve put together a list of the six most effective ways to get rid of rats in your home.