Spring has arrived, and the pests are already starting to make their usual rounds. As they seek food, water and shelter, your home is like a bug and rodent oasis just waiting to be occupied. But nobody likes surprise invaders in their living space, which is why it’s crucial to recognize the most common threats and take action to prevent them.
Here are three pests you’re almost guaranteed to see this season:
- Spiders: Entering through tiny cracks and crevices, spiders usually take to basements, crawlspaces or dry, warm areas near air vents and attics.
- Ants: Ants can slip in through small openings and build nests quickly. These bugs can usually be found near water and food sources throughout the home.
- Flies: Keep flies from finding their way into your home by sealing cracks and gaps that offer flies a way inside.
Fortunately, you can help prevent all of these pests from entering your home. Take the following steps to lessen your chances of a pest invasion:
- Clean up loose food items – Check in your kitchen area, as well as trashcans and other garbage disposal units around your home, for any exposed food and get rid of it.
- Eliminate moisture sources – That means leaky faucets, pipes or other unintentional sources. Pests need water to thrive.
- Reduce overall clutter – Unused items lying around your home can provide cover for pests. Clean up around the house to make sure they have no places to hide.
Need a quick reference guide for all of this? You can also download our expert tip sheet here.
You may also like
Ants Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What attracts ants into my home? How do I get rid of ants and prevent their colony from growing? Get the answers to the most frequently asked questions on ants, all answered by the experts at Orkin Canada.
Odour Control Tips To Prevent Pests
Unpleasant scents can originate from many sources, some of which are outside your control. And eliminating the stench can be tough, as odours with an organic base are persistent and can linger long after the source is removed. In fact, 79% of cleaning professionals say removing odour is their biggest challenge!
Why Do Some Ants Fly?
Most ant species found in Canada form new colonies by producing winged ants and swarming during the warmer weather of spring and early summer.
How To Control Carpenter Ants In The House
Black carpenter ants are common structure infesting ants found throughout Canada. The tiny insect primarily lives outdoors but gains access to homes when looking for food sources and sites to establish satellite nests.