Spring has arrived, and the pests are already starting to make their usual rounds. As they seek food, water and shelter, your home is like a bug and rodent oasis just waiting to be occupied. But nobody likes surprise invaders in their living space, which is why it’s crucial to recognize the most common threats and take action to prevent them.
Here are three pests you’re almost guaranteed to see this season:
- Spiders: Entering through tiny cracks and crevices, spiders usually take to basements, crawlspaces or dry, warm areas near air vents and attics.
- Ants: Ants can slip in through small openings and build nests quickly. These bugs can usually be found near water and food sources throughout the home.
- Flies: Keep flies from finding their way into your home by sealing cracks and gaps that offer flies a way inside.
Fortunately, you can help prevent all of these pests from entering your home. Take the following steps to lessen your chances of a pest invasion:
- Clean up loose food items – Check in your kitchen area, as well as trashcans and other garbage disposal units around your home, for any exposed food and get rid of it.
- Eliminate moisture sources – That means leaky faucets, pipes or other unintentional sources. Pests need water to thrive.
- Reduce overall clutter – Unused items lying around your home can provide cover for pests. Clean up around the house to make sure they have no places to hide.
Need a quick reference guide for all of this? You can also download our expert tip sheet here.
You may also like
Top Pests Expected To Trend In The Summer Of 2023
Warm weather is around the corner, which means pests that have been overwintering or hibernating will wake up as well as non-hibernating pests will start making an appearance outdoors. Being prepared for those spring and summer pests can have an impact on how enjoyable your time will be at home or at work. Using industry leading expertise, we have put together a comprehensive list on the top 8 pests expected to trend in the summer of 2023. This list will provide a deeper dive into the impact that pests can have on your property, along with prevention tips to keep your home or business pest-free.
Top 4 Tips For A Pest-Free Halloween
You may have been tricked by the plastic bats and fake spider webs in your neighbourhood, but the pests trying to make your house their home can be the scariest trick during Halloween. From rodents trying to trick or treat inside your home to flies trying to enjoy your jack-o’-lanterns, pests are always looking for ways to get into the Halloween spirit (and your home). Don’t worry, you’re not alone in trying to pest proof your home, as your Orkin Canada Pro has put together a list of 4 quick tips that will help you keep pests out this Halloween.
4 Easy Tips To Pest Proof Your Garden
Spring is the perfect time to get the garden tools out and start getting the garden box ready to grow some vegetables and your favourite flowers. You might do this every year, or this is your first attempt at gardening, regardless of your experience level, we're here to help you keep pests out. Our experienced Ph.d. entomologist Alice Sinia has put together a few easy and simple tips keep your garden pest free.
Ants Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What attracts ants into my home? How do I get rid of ants and prevent their colony from growing? Get the answers to the most frequently asked questions on ants, all answered by the experts at Orkin Canada.
Remove pests from your home, and stop them from coming back
We work hard to listen, understand and assess your unique situation. Request a free, no-obligation estimate today for a customized pest program that fits your needs.Request a Free Home Estimate
Request a Free Business Consultation