Pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds homeowners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2020 through July 31, 2021. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Impact of COVID-19 On The Rodent Population
The COVID-19 pandemic has had both an immediate and potentially long-lasting impact on rodent populations. From behavioural changes to ecological adjustments that forced rodents to have to adapt in order to survive. If you would like to learn more about what we are learning so far about the potential impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the rodent population, click here.
Rodent Prevention Tips
- Trim the Trees: Landscaping can be a big-rodent attractant. Keep shrubbery cut back at least one meter from the exterior walls of your home to eliminate any hiding spots for rodents and to avoid giving them a “jumping off” point.
- Cut Off the Water: Eliminate any moisture sources, necessary for pests’ survival, such as clogged gutters or water gathering in trash or recycling bins.
- Inspect both inside and outside your property for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better.
- Close the Gap: Look for possible entry points outside the home, seal all cracks larger than 1/4 of an inch and install weather strips at the bottom of exterior doors.
- Keep your property clean, inside and out. Clean up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen to avoid leaving food residue or sugary substances that can attract rodents. Store all food (including pet food) in tightly-sealed containers like plastic bins, and never leave food or dishes sitting out overnight.
Download Ontario’s Top 25 “Rattiest” Cities infographic below:
You may also like
How To Get Rid Of Rats
Rats can be a nuisance for any homeowner to deal with. As these pests can transmit diseases and can even cause damage to your home and property, thereby compromising the structure and potentially even creating possible fire hazards. Don’t worry, as Orkin Canada is here to help. Using our extensive experience, we’ve put together a list of the six most effective ways to get rid of rats in your home.
Rats: Your Guide To Avoiding Rodents Like The Plague
Not all rodents will ravage your business (although we’d like to see a gerbil try). When it comes to business threats, there are five rodents most likely to sink their teeth into your operations.
No Room for Pests in Thanksgiving Feasts
While you can’t prevent your relatives from embarrassing you this Thanksgiving, you can prevent pests from joining you at the table. With plenty of food and the opportunity for dropped crumbs and spilled drinks, Thanksgiving is any pest’s favourite holiday. But you can send pests packing this year by kicking them out the door before they even step inside
Protect Your Business from Rodents During Renovation
Rodents can throw a wrench in any renovation and cause costly damage to your business. Before planning any construction around your property, be sure you’ve considered your rodent control program.