Pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds homeowners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2020 through July 31, 2021. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Impact of COVID-19 On The Rodent Population
The COVID-19 pandemic has had both an immediate and potentially long-lasting impact on rodent populations. From behavioural changes to ecological adjustments that forced rodents to have to adapt in order to survive. If you would like to learn more about what we are learning so far about the potential impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the rodent population, click here.
Rodent Prevention Tips
- Trim the Trees: Landscaping can be a big-rodent attractant. Keep shrubbery cut back at least one meter from the exterior walls of your home to eliminate any hiding spots for rodents and to avoid giving them a “jumping off” point.
- Cut Off the Water: Eliminate any moisture sources, necessary for pests’ survival, such as clogged gutters or water gathering in trash or recycling bins.
- Inspect both inside and outside your property for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better.
- Close the Gap: Look for possible entry points outside the home, seal all cracks larger than 1/4 of an inch and install weather strips at the bottom of exterior doors.
- Keep your property clean, inside and out. Clean up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen to avoid leaving food residue or sugary substances that can attract rodents. Store all food (including pet food) in tightly-sealed containers like plastic bins, and never leave food or dishes sitting out overnight.
Download Ontario’s Top 25 “Rattiest” Cities infographic below:
You may also like
Top 6 Pests Expected To Trend In The Winter Of 2022
With winter weather around the corner, Canadians will start heading indoors to escape the cold. Just like humans, pests also look to seek refuge indoors as resources, such as food and water, become harder to find outside when the weather gets colder. In order to prevent a potential pest infestation from occurring on your property throughout the winter, we have put together a comprehensive list of the top 6 pests expected to trend in the winter of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
Top 4 Tips For A Pest-Free Halloween
You may have been tricked by the plastic bats and fake spider webs in your neighbourhood, but the pests trying to make your house their home can be the scariest trick during Halloween. From rodents trying to trick or treat inside your home to flies trying to enjoy your jack-o’-lanterns, pests are always looking for ways to get into the Halloween spirit (and your home). Don’t worry, you’re not alone in trying to pest proof your home, as your Orkin Canada Pro has put together a list of 4 quick tips that will help you keep pests out this Halloween.
Canada's Top 25 "Rattiest" Cities 2022
Pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds home owners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Atlantic Canada's Top 15 'Rattiest' Cities 2022
As winter approaches, pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds homeowners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022.