Pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds home owners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
Rodent Prevention Tips
- Trim the Trees: Landscaping can be a big-rodent attractant. Keep shrubbery cut back at least one meter from the exterior walls of your home to eliminate any hiding spots for rodents and to avoid giving them a “jumping off” point.
- Cut Off the Water: Eliminate any moisture sources, necessary for pests’ survival, such as clogged gutters or water gathering in trash or recycling bins.
- Inspect both inside and outside your property for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better.
- Close the Gap: Look for possible entry points outside the home, seal all cracks larger than 1/4 of an inch and install weather strips at the bottom of exterior doors.
- Keep your property clean, inside and out. Clean up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen to avoid leaving food residue or sugary substances that can attract rodents. Store all food (including pet food) in tightly-sealed containers like plastic bins, and never leave food or dishes sitting out overnight.
Download Ontario’s Top 25 “Rattiest” Cities Infographic below:
You may also like
No Room for Pests in Thanksgiving Feasts
While you can’t prevent your relatives from embarrassing you this Thanksgiving, you can prevent pests from joining you at the table. With plenty of food and the opportunity for dropped crumbs and spilled drinks, Thanksgiving is any pest’s favourite holiday. But you can send pests packing this year by kicking them out the door before they even step inside
Protect Your Business from Rodents During Renovation
Rodents can throw a wrench in any renovation and cause costly damage to your business. Before planning any construction around your property, be sure you’ve considered your rodent control program.
British Columbia's Top 20 'Rattiest' Cities 2019
As spring approaches, pest control leader Orkin Canada reminds homeowners and business owners to take precautions to help keep rodents out. Cities are ranked by the number of rodent (rat & mice) treatments the company performed from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018.
How to Patch a Rodent Hole
Out of all pests, rats just might be the sneakiest. They have an uncanny ability to pop-up seemingly out of nowhere, much to the surprise and horror of all who encounter them. Just how do they pull off this magic act? Like tiny contortionists, rats are able to fit their bodies through impossibly small openings.