As days get shorter and temperatures drop, you may also notice an increase in pest activity. We aren’t the only ones looking for relief from the cold – pests like rodents, stink bugs, cluster flies and spiders are looking for a warm place with readily available food or to overwinter. Check out these five tips to help keep pests from crawling around your property and disturbing tenants this winter.
Involve Your Staff
Your staff is the first line of defense against pests, so encourage them to monitor for and report any signs of pest problems. Often at no extra cost, your pest management company can provide staff training sessions on which pests to look for and what conditions attract them.
Identify Pest Attractants
Unfortunately, your property offers everything pests need for survival – food, water and shelter. They’ll try anything to get inside and stay inside, so you should know which areas attract them most and monitor closely. The most common places – or “hot spots” – for pests include common areas, dumpsters and trash cans, storage rooms and behind large pieces of equipment and furniture.
Reinforce The Perimeter
The biggest pest threats often start outdoors.
- Inspect the perimeter of building structures for potential entry points and ask your maintenance crew to seal up holes with a water-proof sealant. They also should use copper or steel wool for an extra layer of protection.
- Pests can use vegetation as staging and feeding sites, so maintain landscaping, especially around entrances.
- Keep plants and trees trimmed away from your building and remove leaves quickly so pests cannot use them for cover.
- Consider installing a gravel strip around your exterior as rodents typically avoid being out in the open.
Strengthen Sanitation Routines
The key to keeping pests from entering your building is removing incentives for them to come inside.
- Reduce food sources by (1) cleaning crumbs and spills left in common areas and (2) eliminating any bird feed available on balconies.
- Seal garbage cans tightly, remove trash regularly and don’t forget to sanitize and de-clutter trash handling areas. • Eliminate sources of moisture in and around your property. This includes leaky HVAC units, standing water and even overflowing ice machines.
- Winter is also a great time to create a written sanitation plan detailing specific roles and routines.
- Keep your residents informed about ongoing pest management efforts and how they can contribute.
Partner With An Expert
By following these steps, your property can enjoy the winter season without worrying about unwanted visitors like rodents, cockroaches and spiders. Talk with your pest management professional about these tips and other actions you can take to protect your property and tenants from seasonal pests in your area.
Download and save a printable version of 5 Ways to Leave Pests Out in the Cold This Winter here.
You may also like
Top Pests Expected To Trend In The Summer Of 2023
Warm weather is around the corner, which means pests that have been overwintering or hibernating will wake up as well as non-hibernating pests will start making an appearance outdoors. Being prepared for those spring and summer pests can have an impact on how enjoyable your time will be at home or at work. Using industry leading expertise, we have put together a comprehensive list on the top 8 pests expected to trend in the summer of 2023. This list will provide a deeper dive into the impact that pests can have on your property, along with prevention tips to keep your home or business pest-free.
Canada's Top 25 Bed Bug Cities Of 2022
Bed bugs are extremely efficient hitch hikers. They can move easily across a room and climb onto luggage or anything left on a bed in just one night. Learn which cities have made Canada’s top 25 bed buggiest cities.
Top 6 Pests Expected To Trend In The Winter Of 2022
With winter weather around the corner, Canadians will start heading indoors to escape the cold. Just like humans, pests also look to seek refuge indoors as resources, such as food and water, become harder to find outside when the weather gets colder. In order to prevent a potential pest infestation from occurring on your property throughout the winter, we have put together a comprehensive list of the top 6 pests expected to trend in the winter of 2022. This list will provide an in-depth look at the impact that pests will have on your home or business, along with also providing easy to use preventative tips.
Top 4 Tips For A Pest-Free Halloween
You may have been tricked by the plastic bats and fake spider webs in your neighbourhood, but the pests trying to make your house their home can be the scariest trick during Halloween. From rodents trying to trick or treat inside your home to flies trying to enjoy your jack-o’-lanterns, pests are always looking for ways to get into the Halloween spirit (and your home). Don’t worry, you’re not alone in trying to pest proof your home, as your Orkin Canada Pro has put together a list of 4 quick tips that will help you keep pests out this Halloween.
Remove pests from your business, and stop them from coming back
We work hard to listen, understand and assess your unique situation. Request a free, no-obligation consultation today for a customized pest program that fits your needs.Request a Free Business Consultation
Request a Free Home Estimate