Ants and mice are moving inside and wildlife may be looking for potential harbourage areas. Spiders are constructing egg sacs and mosquito activity is increasing. House fly activity can be expected. Commercial accounts will need to be aware of increased small fly activity. Nuisance wildlife, such as squirrels and chipmunks, will be much more noticeable.
How We Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Bed Bug Treatment Information
Identification & Biology:
- About the size of an apple seed, bed bugs are flattened, oval-shaped insects. They are typically brown but, after feeding, can become swollen and red in colour.
- Female bed bugs lay approximately 200 eggs during a lifetime, which equates to 12 eggs a day.
- Coated in a transparent cement, the eggs are laid on rough surfaces. About six to 17 days after the eggs are laid, nymphs will emerge.
- Bed bugs nymphs are clear in colour and must undergo five molts to reach maturity. The molting process typically takes about ten weeks to complete.
A complete and thorough inspection must be performed to determine the relative degree of bed bug activity (light, moderate or heavy). To do this, we may inspect the following areas of the bed complex (anything 4 to 8 feet from the bed):
- All bedding and pillows
- Mattress and box spring
- Bed frame
- Electronic items
- Wall hangings
- Stored items on floor or under bed
In addition, we may inspect the following other areas:
- Where people sit for TV
- Laundry rooms
- Vacuum cleaners
- Curtains and rods
- Popcorn ceilings
- Housekeeping carts (if applicable)
- Cracks in wallpaper or paint
NOTE: In multi-family facilities, adjacent units should also be inspected.
Cleanup & Follow-Up Procedures
- Vacuum and steam the mattress and box spring (if disposal is not an option).
- When dry, encase the mattress.
- Use a vacuum and steam to clean the headboard and attachment plate on wall.
- In the colder months, turn the heat to 70ºF to help stimulate bed bug hatching.
- Disassemble, flip over, vacuum, and steam all furniture such as: Luggage stands, bed frame, armoires, end tables/nightstands, mirrors, picture frames, chairs, tables, etc.
- The first follow-up should be scheduled within 7 to 10 working days. If no bed bug activity is observed at that time, the service is complete.
- NOTE: All pets must be removed from treated areas and not return for 4 hours. Fish tanks require special preparation.