Once bed bugs are suspected
- Do not remove anything from the suspected area until the “bugs” have been positively identified.
- Have the area inspected thoroughly, as well as all other areas in close proximity.
- All clothing or linens to be cleaned need to be sealed in plastic bags and taken immediately to the laundry area. (Typical laundering and tumble drying on HOT will kill bed bugs).
- Empty all closets, wardrobes & drawers... and, if free of bed bugs, place contents in sealed plastic bags.
- Vacuum thoroughly, especially along carpet edges, baseboards, shelves, mattress seams and bed frame & headboard. (Dispose of vacuum bag immediately)
- A treatment with dry steam will kill bed bugs on contact... or,
- Utilize a properly labeled, and approved, insecticide to treat all cracks and crevices where bed bugs have been found, or are suspect.
- NEVER treat mattresses, or other contact surfaces with an insecticide. Instead, utilize a bed bug certified mattress encasement to protect your mattress.
If you suspect a bed bug problem, for best results, you should immediately contact a professional pest control company such as Orkin Canada and our highly trained technicians.